Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Book Moments: More Challenges...

After an incredibly busy October that included 3 birthdays (all within the same week!)- and one being a Sweet16; all I can say is that I was sooo looking forward to the respite that November would bring. And now that November is finally here, I find myself overloaded with books to read and reviews to write. That’s OK, I love it! In fact, my compulsion has led me to join in 2 more reading challenges. I’m not nuts or anything(well maybe a little) but there is a practical side to me as well..so, I’m making sure that besides the reading-for-fun thing; these also fit my reviewing schedule;

Besides the ones I'm already participating in; which are:

The Jean Plaidy Challenge   




 

 









I’ve found two more interesting challenges to join:
At Virginie Says,   there’s The Four Month Challenge Part 2

  








‘The challenge will begin on November 1, 2009 and will end on February 28, 2010.  Each book you read can only be used for one category.  You can ‘read’ up to ‘2 audiobooks if you choose, but you don’t have to.  You can read books you are also reading for other challenges’.   See categories and point system here.  


I have sort of an ongoing list for this challenge- and so far, it looks like this:

The Suspicions of Mr. Whicher,Kate Summerscale
The White Queen, Philippa Gregory
an Elena Vidal book, set in France
No Wind of Blame, Georgette Heyer
Gwenhwyfar, Mercedes Lackey
O’Juliet, RobinMaxwell


This next Challenge gives me a bit more time to complete since, like the Plaidy one, it’s a year-long challenge:


Women Unbound   is a book blog related to Women’s Studies and they’ve just announced this challenge for November 2009- November 2010.  I originally learned about this on my friend Lilly’s blog: Reading Extravaganza and thought it would be fun to join; especially since all I read is mostly about women in history.












For more info on categories and reads, check it out here
 
I’ve chosen the Blue Stocking Category and here are my picks so far:
Memoirs of The Empress Josephine, Madame de Remusat (I’m finally going to read this!)
Memoirs of Madame Vigee-Lebrun
Madame de Pompadour
Lucrezia Borgia
(I’m still working on my list…)    
What challenges have you joined so far? 

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay! I'm glad you'll be joining my challenge, Lucy :)

Lucy said...

Hey Martina:) I'm on it! Notice how I'm planning on reading another take on Gwen..? I saved this one for your challenge;)

Harvee said...

I have two challenges that I have to get going on and have been neglecting. I also reviewed a book that BBC viewers might like - Friends Like These by Danny Wallace, a BBC documentary host and writer of the comedy screenplay, Yes Man, starring Jim Carey. I think Wallace is popular in the U.K.? Don't think many know of him in the US. Friends Like These

BurtonReview said...

Good luck on your challenges!
I am going to attempty the 4 month challenge again, and I am halfway with Austen, but don't foresee a lot of time top devote to it soon.
The Bluestocking category looks fun!
Good luck you crazy gal!

Katy said...

I joined Women Unbound too--and am looking forward to it! :D

Seccionista said...

There are so many interesting challenges around that it is hard to stay away from them. I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed with the ones I already signed up for so I'm just joining one more about the Winter Holidays and I'm closed for new ones till 2010. ;-)

Jenny Girl said...

lol
Girl you crack me up! I am also behind on challenges and reviews, but I have started to become more selective in what I accept. I can't get to the stuff I really want to. That's the problem...they ALL sound wonderful.
Hope this finds you well.

Roberta said...

Can't take on the challenge right now...but I am sharing the love:
http://con-tain-it.typepad.com/my_weblog/2009/11/multi-tasking-crazy-woman.html
Fondly, Roberta

Melanied'Anjou said...

What a valliant girl you are! I wish I could have the same eagerness as you do:) Congrats! And thanks for the visit!:D
Hugs
Melanie d'Anjou

Petunia said...

I'm participating in the Four Month Challenge as well. Just thought I'd let you know that The Suspicions of Mr. Whicher is a really good book but it is heavy in historical detail. The best part of the book is at the end. Don't give up on it.