Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Toulouse- Lautrec Exhibition

For anyone lucky enough to be able to attend...This Lautrec art exhibition should be to die for.  Love Art Nouveau? It's one of my favourites and I already am putting this on my agenda for a possible escape there this September (keeping my fingers crossed as I've had this type of dream before...)

Back to the subject-The Courtauld Gallery in the UK is holding this fabulous exhibition: "Toulouse-Lautrec and Jane Avril; Beyond the Moulin Rouge".  16 June – 18 September 2011

'Nicknamed La Mélinite after a powerful form of explosive, the dancer Jane Avril was one of the stars of the Moulin Rouge.  Her fame was assured by a series of dazzlingly inventive posters designed by the artist Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec. Jane Avril became an emblematic figure in Lautrec’s world of dancers, cabaret singers, musicians and prostitutes. This landmark exhibition is the first to celebrate this remarkable creative partnership which has to come to define the world of the Moulin Rouge. Bringing together Toulouse-Lautrec's most famous paintings, posters and prints from international collections, it captures the excitement and spectacle of bohemian Paris in the 1890s.'

Here's some eye candy



Learn more about the exhibition at

I will be posting on this again and bringing you a bit of history on Toulouse-Lautrec as well as some of his fabulous art...and maybe some of my own art inspired by this great artist...Stay tuned!

7 comments:

Michelle @ The True Book Addict said...

I love his art too! So vivid and it really captures that Moulin Rouge vibe.

JessiVille said...

I love art nouveau! Lucky you, I hope you are able to attend!

joyfulploys said...

Yes!!! Big fan of art nouveau! Thanks for coming by and visiting me!!
Mary

Doll dreams by Ady Almanza said...

Wow! i love his artwork too ! (who doesn´t?) lucky girl, hope you canmake some photos to share with us :) ...Hugs! oh! and thank you for visiting my blog ^^ ***Ady

Ingrid Mida said...

Dear Lucy,
You should definitely try to go and see the exhibition in person!

Kiki aka Victoria said...

Beautiful...Love this..and by the way...I totally love your blog..such a magical realm here with such beauty and inspiration always...I so enjoy my visits!!
Have a sparkling wkd ahead!
Victoria

Eugenia said...

Hi Lucy! I don't even know where to begin...there's so much to see & read! Just briefly browsing some of your posts, I can literally see the ideas swirling in my head & the words itching to come out - wish I had more hands to type with so I could comment on everything at the same time, lol! I wanted to tell you what a huge Toulouse-Lautrec fan I am (as with al Impressionist artists) - even having seen his works throughout Paris, as well as visiting his gravesite and that of Jane Avril's! (not her real name)...so incredible to see history unfolding before one's eyes like that! Thanks for bringing these memories back to me!